THINGS TO CONSIDER WHEN BUYING A MITER SAW
When it comes to choosing the best compound miter saw, many people might fail at picking out the best one suited for them. Apart from the different types, there are also a lot more to consider before buying.
Always, reading reviews about the miter saw is a good idea as it would give an idea if the tool is trusted. Here are a few helpful pointers that guide you to make the best choice
- Application – Always think before you buy. Thinking on how often you would use and the purpose of buying helps a lot in short listing the saw. This is the most important factor to consider while you buy a saw.
- Blade – The blade is the most important part of any miter saw. It determines the cutting capacity of the miter saw. The diameter of the blade decides the height or depth of the cut. More intentions or teeth in the blade give finer cut. Usually, blades come in 8, 10 or 12-inch size.
- The Mitet and the Bevel – The miter saw is basically used for angled cuts. The type of the tool must be considered before buying. It is usually adjusted to 45 degrees for a right-angled joint. A single bevel or a double bevel must be considered depending upon the need. For example for crown molding or furniture making, a double bevel is the best choice as it would let the saw tilt left and right.
- Slide – The slide in the compound miter saw will help in cutting wood of greater width. Similar to the blade size, the slide also helps to decide the capacity of the saw. For example, if you are going to cut wood for fencing, a bigger blade with more capacity is required. A sliding miter saw is a perfect choice to make.
- Motor – The speed of the motor will help to decide the power of the miter. For regular use, a saw with highest motor power is better. It usually varies between 10 to 15 amp.
- Comfortable handle – It is very important that the handle feels comfortable for you. If you are planning to buy the tool online, a trip to the local retailer is much appreciated as it will give a good test run before you buy. Also, while working, the handle absorbs a lot of vibration.
- Dust Collector – A dust collector is an ideal addition for any saw. Apart from keeping the station clean, the dust collector also protects the saw. If you work in a confined area, it is best to use a dust extractor or vacuum too.
Today, compound miter comes with a lot of new age features. Some of these features are not essential. It just makes using the tool easier. The following are some features to consider:
- Laser guidance – A small red beam of laser lines help in marking the areas the blade cuts. It is very useful for people who try using the tool for the first time.
- Electric Brake – A very useful feature if you are not a professional. It reduces the risk of accidents
- Variable speed dial – It helps to adjust the speed of the motor depending upon the material that is cut.
- Lights – These are very useful to work on dim-lit areas.
- Extension arms and clamps – They help to support your work surface and keep your hands free.
Helpful Pointers For Usage And Maintenance
The most crucial factor while working with a miter saw is being safe and cautious every time. It could be an extremely dangerous tool if handled carelessly. It is very important to check if the blade is fixed properly before using the tool.
Always, study the instruction manual before starting to use the tool as it will have important information about the tool. Also, before using it for the first time, it is advisable to hold the tool for some time to get the grip of the handle. It is critical to know how each feature works before working with it
Cleaning after each and every use makes the tool more durable. It is good to remove dust and debris collected inside the tool after use. Always seek professional help if the tool does not seem to work perfectly. Be cautious if the tool gets over-heated, has increased vibration or if the tool emits strange sounds.
Here is a step by step process to clean the tool:
- Step 1 – The first step to clean the miter saw is removing any loose debris on the saw. Blow dry the tool using compressed air to remove it.
- Step 2 – Wipe the remaining dust using a dry cloth.
- Step 3 – Next focus on the moving parts of the tool. Use a few drops of lubricant to lube all the moving parts of the saw. This step is very important for improving the longevity.
- Step 4 – The blade must be cleaned using a soft wire brush and undiluted toilet bowl cleaner. A specialty blade cleaner can be used too. They would be more expensive.
- Step 5 – It is also important to check the board, brushes and power cord every time you use the tool.
Even though they are expensive, compound miter saw are very practical and handy for any projects. Consider buying the tool based on the quality as it would be a great risk to buy a low-quality saw. If you often do woodwork or a lot of DIY projects for home improvement, a compound miter saw is a must to have. Choose the tool according to your budget and your need for best results.
Finally, clean the tool after every use. It is a very important thing to keep the tool as fresh as new. Safeguard the tool from regular wear and tear with more time and use. Also, always have an eye on the power cords as they are very important to use the tool safely. Optimal performance is integral for every power tool in use.
Some Question You Got, We have Got Answer For that
- Which is the best Compound Miter Saw?
– The best depends upon the purpose and need of the tool. Every job requires a specific type of tool for best results]
- Should we replace the blade in a compound miter saw?
– Yes. When the cuts are not precise with chipping marks, it is time to replace the blades. Replacing the blades help to keep the performance
- Do I need a miter saw stand?
– If you are working on long pieces of wood more than 24 inches, it is advisable to have a miter saw stand. For smaller wood pieces, a stand is not required.
- Is it necessary to clean the compound miter saw?
-Yes. Like any other working tool, a compound miter must be cleaned after every use. Proper cleaning and maintenance help in longevity. There is also a better performance in tools that are maintained regularly.
- How do I clean the tool?
-The best and easy way to clean is to blow dry the tool after use. Once it is done, wipe the tool using a dry cloth to remove remaining debris.
- Can I clean the blade?
-Certainly. The teeth of the blades can be cleaned too. A regular toilet bowl cleaner is used to clean the tool. A specialty blade cleaner will also work. It is more expensive
- Are there any regular checks required?
-Always check the power chords before connecting the tool. A damaged power cord is extremely dangerous and might cause injury.
- When should I not use the tool?
-If the tool gets overheated or if there is too much of vibration than usual, it is better to check with a professional before using it. It is best to be cautious while you use power tools.
- Can I use any blade for any use?
-No. The blade must suit the nature of work. A bigger sized blade can be dangerous while working on a regular sized saw.
- How often should I check for faults?
-These are power tools and they must be checked every time before using. A careless use may spell more harm than imagined.